[at-l] Re: at-l water purification

If you want a truly leakproof bladder and are willing to carry a few extra
ounces, check out the MSR Dromedary bags.  I bought the four liter bag for a
Paria Canyon hike in the mid '90s and have used it ever since.  I had it
with me in China and Nepal, it completed an AT thruhike, and I've used it
for most of my backpacks ever since including 700 miles on the PCT last
year.

The dromedary bag itself has never leaked.  The first two designs MSR came
up with to turn it into a hydration system did leak but the third time's a
charm.  I do occasionally replace the bite valve itself but it's rarely
leaked badly.  Since I started keep a film canister over the mouthpiece to
keep it from falling on the ground last year, I don't even worry about the
minor mouthpiece leaks.  The canister catches.

MSR came out with Dromlite (sp?) bags, too.  They are lighter versions that
don't have the peripheral carry strap.

For what it's worth, I've never heard of a Dromedary bag failing.

Mara
Stitches, AT99

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor