[at-l] Hiking -- A Trip Report

Friday (10/29) an invitation to join some friends in Harriman Park for a day
of hiking resulted in a six hour walk in woods to see the Autumn foliage.  I
took lots of pictures with my digital camera but still have things to learn
about that medium as only two "developed" into records of my trek.  Still, two is
better than none.

Because the day was cloudy and overcast with clouds hanging low in the sky no
long distance views were available.  Those are usually the highlights of a
hike in Harriman State Park.  Instead, the hike on the Long Path and the AT gave
woodland views that were much appreciated.  The open views through the
Hemlock trees showed scenes deep into the woods.  Farther along scenes of a future
Meadow, with present golden fronds waving in the breeze were delicious to
behold.  My eyes feasted on the woodland scenes that are often unappreciated
because the focus has been on the long distance vistas on knobs and mountain tops.

The five of us ate lunch at "Times Square" and later enjoyed dinner at The
Bear Mountain Inn to recap the day.  Other hikers were on the trails but the day
was experienced without the busy-ness of trails in Harriman on a weekend day.
 The treacherous trail was made more so by the covering of fallen leaves
which obscured the rocky paths.  My hiking stick saved me from nasty falls
throughout the day.

The Appalachian Trail was walked on at times during the day and it was noted
(in my heart) that so many others had hiked the same path that I was walking
on.  At the end of the day on top of Bear Mountain where the indicators pointed
North and South I thought of others, whose journals I have read, who passed
that point in previous years as well as this current one.  My own
accomplishment along the trail is minuscule, and I can only look up to the heroes who put
one foot in front of the other with ailments and hardship encountered by them
not blocking their onward progress, until they reached their goal.  There is
something significant in standing on a spot where others have stood in times past

Lessons Learned:  1)  Appreciate the woodland views, even if there are vistas
that dazzle, on future hikes.  They are unique and change daily as leaves
turn from color to color and fall to the ground.  As leaves carpet the ground the
views through the woods opens, exposing greater distance and interesting
sights. 2) Batteries are cheap and provide a means for pictures to adhere to the
electronic "insides" of a camera, so that would have provided me with a record
of views that will not wait until next time. Each day the views change and
though the scenes remain in my brain it would be nice to share them with friends
back home.  3) While I enjoy hiking alone it is good to be with friends for a
day on the trail and share the experience of the day in ongoing conversation
and shared silence.  4)  The threat of rain is like smoke and mirrors that may
hide an opportunity for joyful occupation.  Even if rain materialized the
hiking would have been enjoyed as long as preparation was made.  Fortunately, the
day did not produce rain on paths we walked but even if it did, the walking
was there to be enjoyed; however, I will remember to pack my poncho for
protection on future hikes.

Jack W (NYC) also known as Skylander