[at-l] Introduction (Read at own risk)

As with Jim, I'll bite, too...

Been on this list since about late 1996/early 1997.
Guess that makes me an "old timer" at the ripe old age
of 30. :D

As with Jim, was also on ATML and rec.backcountry.

I am a Rhode Island native, current Colorado resident.
Lived in Rhody for 25 years so there is still a lot of
the Northeasterner in me. You know...to the point, a
little rough around the edges, a fondness for good bar
and grill food.;-)

My first ever time on a mountain was in 1996. Remember
climbing Mt. Lafayette. It started a love for the
outdoors, that though it remained dormant, that
continues to this day.
You can read about that day at:
http://www.magnanti.com/miscwritings/troop_71.htm

Went on my first backpacking trip in 1996.
Became lost, had too much gear, enjoyed myself anyway.
Was hooked!
You can read about it here:
http://www.magnanti.com/miscwritings/first_bp_trip.htm

Any time I become passionate about something, I go the
whole way. Did an end to end hike of the Long Trail in
1997, thru-hiked the AT in 1998 . Two years after my
first mistake prone backpacking trip! After hiking the
AT, moved to Colorado. Since August 1999 have been
playing in the Rockies, exploring the canyons of Utah
and having a grand ole time. Love my adopted home.

In 2002 was lucky enough to hike the PCT; just
recently completed a thru-hike of the Colorado Trail.
Was a great way to see my adopted home.

In the past two years have become an avid runner. Like
hiking, it is simple. No need for any fancy equipment.
The whole world is mine to explore for the price of a
good running shoe. Have done two marathons and one
ultra marathon (52.4 miles). As I said, when I enjoy
something, tend to get really passionate about it! :D
Prefer trail runs to road runs. Though I am not a fast
runner, I do have good endurance and seem to do well
on the long runs in terms of enjoying them, recovery
time and not "hitting the wall". My long term goal is
to do a 100 miler ultra.

Long term hiking plans included the CDT, a trek
through Italy and exploring Utah. Wouldn't mind a
canoe down the Mississippi as well.

When not outdoors enjoy a good book, a good brew (be
it on tap or coffee!), and dabble in genealogy (hence
my interest in hiking through Italy). Found out a few
years ago that my family has a long history of being
rangers in the mountain of south-central Italy. Pretty
cool gene pool if you ask me...

To pay the bills work as a computer tech. History is
my background and interest...but somehow ended up in
this field. Someday will leave the field, but for now
it works out well. Work for really great, laidback
company (4 weeks vacation to start! Awesome people!
And the owner is even from my home state of Rhode
Island. )

My short terms plans include leaving the office in one
hour and going hiking this weekend. :-)

=====
--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com