[at-l] Re: Shelly's Questionnaire

> > When are you planning to thru?
> 2007 when I will be done with Grad School

Congratulations!!  I have 9 more classes to go with my Bachelor's of Science
in Business Management with the University of Phoenix Online.  I am
tentatively schedulling my thru for 2006, if all goes well.

> > Will you be SOBO or NOBO?  Why?
> North Bound because of the trail culture, more available resources, time
window

I hear ya...I plan on NOBO, too for the same reasons.

> > Will you use mail drops?
> Some but not exclusively. I am vegetarian so most likely I will have
> stuff prepared and a helper to pack and ship food items if needed.

Me, too...though not a vegetarian.  However, I want to experience local
dishes all along the trail.  I think that would just enhance the adventure
as well as the town experience.

> > What kind of pack do you use?
> golite speed

I haven't decided on a pack for my thru as of yet.  I'm still researching
that.  Right now, I have a Kelty Yukon external frame.  I'm very partial to
it and love being able to lash things where ever for easy reach.

> > What is your overall weight at right now?
> Under 14lbs for cold but non-snow michigan weather. Less in summer.

Does that include water and food?  Surely not...how much with those items
for a week?

> > What kind of boots, trail runners, or other footgear do you use?
> New Balance 804

I haven't heard many good reviews on those.  However, I've never tried them
for myself.

> > What kind of clothing right now?  And, when you thru?
> I'm 6'5'' 270-280lbs so I patch my clothing system together using layers.
>
> > Sleeping bag?  (mummy, down, synthetic)
> Western Mountainearing Megalite down bag, with a nice trash compacter
> bag to store it in.
>
> > Preferred shelter? (tent, tarp, shelter, hostel, motel, RV?)
> Plan on carrying my Tarp and using shelters. Looking into shire's cloud
burst

No tarp for me.  I like the feel of being enclosed in a tent.  I think it's
warmer, and keeps the bugs and snakes at bay...I guess it feels "safer" to
me for some reason.  Like it would keep a bear out?!  LOL

> > Water purification system?  (filter, MIOX, Aquamira)
> Sweetwater / Polar Pure  with Aquamira on order

I got a MIOX a few months ago and will be playing around with it.  I don't
like the iodine tabs...yuk!  However, there are some really lightweight
filters I'm looking at also.

> > Personal protection...knives, guns, slingshot, pepper spray, hiking
stick or
> > KellyGoVols when she's really ticked off?  ;-))
> Am I hiking in Detrot??

Nah...but you never know.  And, there are some that do carry big knives and
guns on the trail.

> > Favorite trail food?  Most hated trail food?
> Too many to list. Strict Vegetarian though. Most hated... maybe
> oatmeal, "energy" bars

My favorite meal is anything that I don't have to cook.  My most hated meals
are ones that I have to clean up afterwards.  Sheesh...I'm not sure I'll be
able to do a hike without my personal chef now!  LOL  (My hubby makes a mean
cornbread that simply melts in your mouth!  LOL)

> > What (other than mucking around on the at-l) are you doing for
preparation
> > for your thru?
> Hike, Hike, Hike, Read Books, Hit up ALDHA, Hike More, Weight Loss,
> Save Money, Hike Some More

Good, good.  But, I would add to that to keep a journal of this preparation.
It will help you to mentally get ready.  Go to www.trailjournals.com and set
up a site for yourself and start logging down your thoughts and hikes.  You
never know how this may help yourself as well as others.
(I need to follow my own advice on this...I've neglected my journal all
summer long...sigh...)

> > What's in your wallet (make sure you carry a Capitol One card...I hear
that
> > if you don't Vikings will come chase you down...LOL)?
> Will most likely do cash/debit/credit/travlers checks. Will have home
> base support if any problems.
> By 2007 there will be more or better systems.

I can only hope, but what better systems are you referring to?

> > Cell phone (for or against?)  <<<gasp....I can feel the heat from that
> > one>>>?
> Looking into SideKick to be able to do email and such.  Again by 2007
> tech will greatly change.

I hear ya on that one.  Technology changes daily.  What about Blackberry and
Pocketmail?  Have you reviewed them, also?  But, still agree that who knows
what will be out there by the time we take off.  There have been some
reservations concerning the hiptop's opening accidentally.  I'd check on
that some more.

> > Want to provide a list of gear for a thru and let the list do an "online
> > tuckerization"?  OB and Mira as well as many others from the list are
really
> > awesome tuckerizers.  I just haven't worked up the gumption to go under
the
> > blade yet.  :~))
> I'm pretty happy and experienced with my gear currently.  I am at base
> about 14lbs. I can do 9 days in cold weather with no resupply
> including water at about  35lbs or less.

I'm still working on the weight thing.  I have certain creature comforts
that I'm not sure I want to do without right now.  Only time will tell how I
will cut my weight as I play more and more with it.

> > I'm sure there's many more questions I could ask...but I'll take a break
> > right now.
> >
> > Shelly Hale
>
> More questions:
>
> What Stove:
> Up in the air right now. Stove tech is getting better and better every
> year. If I left tomorrow it would be Alcohol or Esbit.

I have a Pepsi can stove...love it.  But, I have heard some promising things
on the MSR pocket rocket or was it the whisperlight...I need to review my
notes again.  Sheesh...can you tell it's getting late?  LOL

> Hiking with Partner or Solo?:
> With my wife who is my hiking partner. We hike all over together.

My eldest daughter is my hiking partner right now.  But, she'll only be a
Freshman in high school if I get to go on my planned thru in 2006.  I have
thought about putting it off a few years so that she could go with me.  But,
then again...I think I would want her to experience the hike on her own.
Who wants to hike with their Mom?  LOL

> Thru-Hike, Flip-Flop, Section Hike?:
> Were going to go for the straight thru-hike North Bound.

Me too.