[at-l] Camping for the Gathering and the Use of Alcohol

At 06:44 PM 9/30/2004 -0500, Shane Steinkamp wrote:
>In Louisiana, it's against the law to comit suicide.  I've never figured
>out what the penalty is, though.
>
>Shane

NY has that law too. Never could figure that one out. I think it's there so
that if you try to kill yourself but fail they have reason to lock you up
in order to prevent you from trying again, in other words, save your life.
Is that a penalty? I guess, like the issue that started this subject line,
it depends on your perspective. To get back to that debate I must say I
agree with Chomp that point. Assuming it really is illegal to jump off the
bridge in Hanover, ALDHA should not condone it by listing it as an official
function during the Gathering. If Warren and others want to make it a civil
rights issue and do it anyway, that's their business but ALDHA is not about
protesting anti-bridge jumping ordinances so we, as a group, should not be
involved.

The question has been posed "is it really illegal?". Anyone know the
answer? If it is, does anyone know *why* there is an ordinance against
jumping off the bridge? It is my experience that laws result from
something, sometimes as puny as a fear of something that hasn't happened
but might, to insurance problems, occasionally to an actual tragedy that
occurred. While it may be a blow for personal liberty to defy the law, it
wouldn't hurt one's protest to know why the law is there to be protested.
Knee-jerk protests are no better than any other knee jerk judgements. It
might even turn out that the law makes sense and if the real point of the
jump is to take an early morning plunge, there is always the pond at
Storr's. In fact I was a bit confused when I learned that the traditional
"cliff jump" was actually off a bridge. So where's the cliff?