8 My house just don,t look the same with out a front porch
9 My nieghbor liked it better attatched to my house than in his front yard.
10 A stormy day in Florida is better than a snow day up north :>))
Still lovin Florida ClydeFrom TrailR at aol.com  Mon Sep 27 09:58:19 2004
From: TrailR at aol.com (TrailR@aol.com)
Date: Mon Sep 27 11:06:06 2004
Subject: [at-l] Camping for the Gathering and the Use of Alcohol

In a message dated 9/27/2004 10:09:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
spiriteagle99@hotmail.com writes:

Nope - didn't say there were brawls - at the Gathering.  Yet.  But there sure
have been some "on the Trail" in the  past.

**
A brawl on the trail closed "panarchy" to hikers (in Hanover) last year.  Not
sure if it stayed closed, but a drunken thru hiker was the cause.
**

You're right - it's not just an ALDHA thing.  It's also a  "Trail thing"  -
and a "societal thing."
But that doesn't mean  ALDHA has to put up with it to the point that ALDHA as
an organization  gets a rep that we don't want - or until someone gets hurt
(as almost  happened last year) - or until the Folklife Center (or Hanover)
decides  that we're not welcome there anymore.
**
True
**

For  those of us who've been
around a while, the atmosphere at Hanover has  gotten decidedly colder and
ALDHA is a lot less welcome than we once  were.  Nor is the Folklife Center
as accomodating as it once  was.

**
This is something that the everyday ALDHA members don't hear about, or
notice.
Everything seems to go so smoothly at the Gatherings. Maybe these  issues
should be discussed more publicly at the ALDHA meetings (at the  Gathering).
**

The "one-size-fits-all" statement is entirely accurate  the way it's phrased.
Those who CANNOT give up alcohol for a  weekend do have an alcohol problem.
**
My mistake. I missed the emphasis on cannot.
**

Those who, like you, don't want to give it up - fit into the  next
category, not this one. The problem here is that most of those who  CANNOT
give it up for the weekend will place themselves in the next  category too.
I like an occassional beer or two myself -  especially when I get to gether
with friends I haven't seen for a  while.  But I don't do so at the Folklife
Center because I respect  their hospitality.

As for "enforcing it all along" - it has been  publicly anounced at every
Gathering and it's been printed in some of the  Gathering literature.  In the
past, AT hikers have been assumed to be  adult enough to abide by rules.  It
hasn't been deemed necessary - or  even desirable - to "enforce" those rules.
But that's apparently  changed.
**
Hikers are a sort of counter culture, SOME of them are not good at  following
rules,
maybe "Hike Your Own Hike" gets carried a bit too far where alcohol is
concerned.
Drugs too...
**

Yeah  - agreed.  But those few a$$***** will, if not checked, destroy the
organization.  Personally, I'd much rather that we self-police  ourselves.
But that ain't gonna happen because of the nature of  hikers.  There are too
many who think the "Hike your own hike" mantra  gives them license to do
whatever they want - including getting drunk and  disorderly, burning the
shelter down and hassling the locals. Or screaming  their way through the
night and keeping others awake.  And there are  too many of us who look at
their BS and tell ourselves that it's not our  business.  So we don't do
anything about it --- and they get away  with it - and the rest of us pay the
price by getting a rep as a rowdy  organization.  Not acceptable - it is most
certainly OUR  business.  We lost one campsite at Hanover because of that
kind of  behavior.  And we may eventually lose Storrs's Pond if there are too

many repeats of last years performance.

**
I stayed at Storrs campground last year and never saw any  bad  behavior,
just
noise (up the hill). What were the big issues last year, so we can avoid
them this
year at the new campground?  Just because we have a "drinking" camping  area,
doesn't mean the bad behavior should be overlooked there.
**

hotdog