[at-l] Camping for the Gathering and the Use of Alcohol

In a message dated 9/26/04 01:20:48 Eastern Daylight Time,
weathercarrot@hotmail.com writes:

> instead we now are forced to choose. We degenerate to that
> typical human pattern of breaking off into fractured groups, because certain
> people decide at an arbitrary time to become ultra anal. You get that
> standard line: "Rules are rules, and it's about time we actually follow
> them."   I'm sorry - it seems I have a different arrangement of priorities
> here. The inclusive premise that ALDHA was founded on is conveniently washed
> away now - and yes, I know exactly who will disagree with me on that one,
> and why. Like always, I have the minority opinion.....

WC -- Apparently the people who bought the Folklife Center, and manage it
today (perhaps these are one and the same or a tradition handed down) have strong
feelings about the use of alcohol. The reasons may be many and varied but
that is their concern and not ours.  They own the place and allow ALDHA members
to camp there for no-cost.  To call them anal:

"We degenerate to that typical human pattern of breaking off into fractured
groups, because certain people decide at an arbitrary time to become ultra
anal."

is a way of denigrating their convictions without regard to the principles by
which they operate.  Within ALDHA (as well) there are people on both sides of
the issue.  But there is no split.  Alcohol is a choice for each.  To use or
not to use, that is the question.  Certainly there is evidence that those who
use often abuse not only themselves but others.  Regulations?  Who needs them?
 Let's tear down the shelter!  Or, let's pee on the fire, or let's wake up
everyone with some "good" music, or, lets puke in the privy, or whatever!
Alcohol tends to cloud the judgment of many while a few can drink and enjoy quiet
conversation.

But here's another thought -- Is alcohol necessary?  Can those who use choose
to refrain for a night or two?  Instead of a split is there not the choice to
be unified?

Unless a person is addicted to alcohol it is possible to remain alcohol-free
for two or three nights.  When people are out on the AT and alcohol is not
available they can abstain -- why not at ALDHA?  The split is not caused by those
who choose to obey the regulations but by those who choose not to stay at the
Folk Life Center.  Sure, some will stay in other places (motels, B&Bs,
Lodges, etc.) but those who have a chance to come together at a camping place now
have to make a choice of quietness or a drunken brawl.

I enjoy a cocktail, beer or glass of wine from time to time.  I am not
against the use of alcohol.  But, when a group makes arrangements for free camping
-- a place to Gather -- to share memories of the trail and to catch up on
personal life stories, it is not difficult to comply with the regulations for a few
evenings.

Well, it looks like there will be two camps.  Some will travel between them
and some will choose one or the other.  That is Freedom -- to be able to make
choices. There is no need to call people names or label them with psychological
terminology.  Make a choice and meet those you choose to be with for there
will be opportunity to meet others during the day at lunch, in workshops, at
dinner, in the evening before the presentations, or at the barn dance.

Enjoy The Gathering in any way that you choose.

Skylander