Fw: [at-l] Hiking poles - On Topic(ish)

In a message dated 9/23/2004 7:30:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Slyatpct@aol.com writes:

>  I've tried using two poles, but I find the sEcond just gets in the way
when
> I stop to take photos, or to inspect an interesting flower or ponder  a
trail
> side bug.

At times the poles were just something extra to carry.  But I don't think I would have survived the Whites without injury if I didn't have them. Steping from rock to rock with 60 mph crosswinds while wearing a pack they were both needed. I would support my weight with the poles until my foot landed where I intended. I couldn't do that with just one pole.  They were also a big help while fording swollen rivers.  When you stop to examine that dung beetle just hold both in the same hand.  Doing so also makes it easier for us guys to write our name in the snow - but that's another subject...

Lwop - a new 2000 miler!!!