[at-l] Hiking poles - On Topic

--- joe miele <jmmiele@optonline.net> wrote:

> Hiking poles - love 'em?  Hate 'em? Why?  Do they
> get in the way or do they assist in the journey?

I love 'em. I started hiking with them shortly after I
began backpacking and cannot imagine hiking without
them. They are particularly helpful on the downhills
(saving knees) and help me with balance as well.

In my opinion, $100 or $120 is not a lot of money to
spend for such an investment. But, if you want to try
out a pair first, I'd try to find a good-quality used
pair, or borrow some for a few hikes.

As far as length, I prefer the adustable styles. I
shorten them if I have a long uphill climb or lengthen
them if I have a long downhill. They really make a
difference for me. My husband has non-adustable poles,
and I don't see how he can stand not being able to
adjust them! :)

The only times they have ever really gotten "in the
way" have been during particularly rocky
areas--Mahoosuc Notch, Chairback, etc.--where I needed
to use my hands to climb. But with the adjustable, I
just collapsed them and lashed them securely to my
pack ... and it really wasn't such an inconvenience,
when I consider all of the benefit I've gotten from
them in the other 98% of my hiking life.

Waterfall

=====
My Blog: http://asortofnotebook.blogspot.com

My Book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0881505986/qid=1073309993//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i0_xgl14/102-8182420-0202529?v=glance&s=books&n=507846