[at-l] AT-L Off Topic Thoughts

Greetings,

I've been part of this list since 1995.  I say that not to infer that it
gives me any standing, but just to say that I've seen, and participated in,
many off-topic threads.  The list has been a wonderful resource for hiking
and general enlightenment.  I've met a few listers over the years as they
have graciously provided me with shuttles, or I've returned the favor.  The
posts of some listers give little insight to their lives outside hiking,
while other post addicts (past and present) drop enough clues, hints and
biographies to allow for a feature in Parade Magazine:  age, hometown,
occupation, marital status, children, sexual preference, work history,
educational background, extended family bios, hobbies, HGTV-quality
residential assessments, and a full ebb and flow of feelings and
predicaments described with exhibitionist flair.

In my view, this variation in off-topic banter is little different from real
life.  Take work, for example.  Some of my coworkers show up and leave,
never talking about anything other than work.  Others give a thrice weekly
update of their lives - this endears them to the interested, mildly
amuses/ticks off the somewhat disinterested, and alienates the decidedly
disinterested.

With the list in its tenth year of existence, it has seen its share of
on-topic and off-topic bursts, but it in general has grown more and more
off-topic.  Although it makes the "regulars" more comfortable, a large
volume of off-topic posts has a tendency to turn off new listers.  In my
opinion, off-topic posts are part of this list's identity, but a signficant
volume of informative on-topic posts is required for list survival.

Take Care,

Tim