[at-l] Palmerton Hostel

Hi all,

Back from my bike journey and still in 1 piece......saw much great scenery
and many "hills"

On the subject of hiker behavior....this is not the first I've read of poor
behavior by hikers. when I was on my hike in 2002 and in Damascus I heard
from a hiker staying in the church hostel there that the cops had to come
through because some were smoking marijuana.  I also so some hikers not
give donations at hostels where it was suggested.

There were notes in the companion about places that for years had hosted
hikers that no longer did because of the behavior of a few.  There will
always be that part of society that chooses to act in ways that the general
population does not. In some cases this different behavior has no impact on
anyone but that person, bey when it impacts others in the present or in the
future, I wonder if its not up to the rest of us to deal with it.  Not in a
confrontational way, but let those involved that its not going to be
tolerated.  If we do not, then are we not letting a few dictate to the rest
of us and we then have to pay the price.  A rude, belligerent, alcohol
abusive individual makes a hostel owner, land owner, motel owner, etc mad
and who pays for that?  The next hikers that happens to come along. And we
did nothing wrong so we pay the price.  Peer pressure works great, but a
moving hiker who may never see people again can be a loose cannon.  I for
one do not find it objectionable to talk to a hiker abusing the trail and
those that support it. Nor do I find it objectionable to "report" hikers
that are acting improper.  If I (we) don't, then when things become closed
to hikers we have no one to blame.  I'd like to think that the trail was a
friendly place, open and receptive to all, both on the trail and the
periphery that supports it, but more and more actions by a few can
compromise it.  I think that we must let those that abuse the trail and its
supporting infrastructure know that they are not welcome. Its not a
pleasant thing to do, but I'd ask all of us, do we not have a
responsibility to give back to the trail and to the preservation of it and
its supporting activities?  I for one believe that.  Lets help educate
those that don't get the picture.

Ok...enough of my ramblings but these kind of actions really bother me.

Have a nice evening!

Mainframe

p.s.  I really enjoyed Palmerton and the BLT at the little restaurant.