[at-l] Palmerton Hostel

Receiving letters like this really upsets me. Here we have a "few hikers"
who are jeopardizing a well established hostel. It would be appreciated if
this letter could be passed around in hopes of educating those "few hikers".
Thanks
John O

John O'Mahoney, Editor
Thru Hiker Companion
40 Lenape Trail
Brick, NJ  08724

RE:  Palmerton Hostel

Dear Mr. O'Mahoney:

         I am writing to ask for your advice and assistance in a troubling
matter for Palmerton Borough.  For over 25 years the Palmerton Borough Hall
has been used as a hostel for through hikers on the Appalachian Trail.  In
recent years the actions of a growing number of a few hikers is
jeopardizing our interest in continuing this courtesy.   Recognize that we
are talking about a minority of hikers, but a minority whose actions may
affect 450-500 hikers per year who choose to stay with us for a
night.  Many fine, wonderful people have become known to us through this
outreach, but others appear to have less appreciation for what we have to
offer.

         Some of the more blatant offensive actions that we do not
appreciate are generally associated with immature behavior.  We are not a
"flop house" for those who choose to over drink and sleep it off the next
day.  Even more offensive are those individuals who have over drank and
used our stairwell and shrubbery as a urinal or place to up-chuck.  As
repulsive as it sounds, it happens too often.  Others feel that they are
just too "independent" to have to register with either the police or our
office.  If their independence is that critical, they should stay at the
shelters provided on the trail.

         My last item of concern is for those traveling with their
pets.  Three of the four regular office staff here have house dogs who stay
indoors with us at home.  The difference is that these house animals are
regularly groomed and washed.  Last year a hiker's "friendliest dog in the
world" chased one of our residents out of the basement.  This is first and
foremost a public building where many people come and go on a regular
basis.  Please don't ask us to invite pets in, because the answer will be no.

         Please offer any thoughts or suggestions you may have, as we have
nearly decided that we cannot risk a truly unfortunate circumstance
happening.  As of this time, there is a 90% probability that we will not
open in 2005.  We hope you have the answers that will allow us to look
forward to meeting many new friends next year.

                                                         Sincerely,

                                                         BOROUGH OF PALMERTON

                                                         Rodger P. Danielson
                                                 Borough Manager