[at-l] ME>GA or GA>ME

Mark Hudson wrote:

><<What are the advantages/disadvantages of either trek?  >>
>

>Southbound:
>
>Less crowded, more solitude. But you have to deal with people like Felix
><vbg>.
>Cooler weather, winter or approaching winter on the southern end of your
>hike, more colder weather gear to carry.
>Less bugs (But if you start in Maine in June the bugs there may make up for
>the rest of the trip).
>Schedule will put you into hunting season...
>
>skeeter  (maybe my next trip will be southbound).

Hmmm....Skeeter on a southbound....interesting.  My hike was southbound
mainly because that's the way the timing worked out best for me at THAT
time. I was able to work through the spring and early summer, which is
when I make most of my money, and start my hike on August 4th. I was
able to keep most of my clients that way. BUT, the fact of the matter
is...I AM a southbounder. My head and heart are both southbounders. Any
time I'd ever thought about thru-hiking (which really wasn't that much),
it was southbound. For as much of a people person as I am, I don't
really like people. I guess the fact of the matter is I like all the
people around me, I just prefer it not be that many. Now, if you're
talking about the 20 or 30 Canadian high school girls I met at Bemis Mt.
Shelter...well, the more the merrier.  6 years ago right now, me, Cake,
Pokey and Stoat were camping on the summit of a little mountain just
south of Cloudland Road...we saw the sunset and the sunrise from the
same spot. I love that. even if the site was probably not a legal site.
Remember that Cake??  What was the question, again?

--
Felix J.
ME-->GA '98