[at-l] So...

At 10:52 I was most likely standing in the laundromat near to the building
where I work, in view of the NYC skyline and the cloud of smoke and dust
rising from where the towers once stood.  Two of us left the office to watch
the TV in the Laundromat because listening to Howard Stern on the radio
describe what was happening was too surreal.

I was trying to get my wife on the phone but all the phone lines were jammed
and I could not connect anywhere.  I got in touch with her through e-mail
and she said that a few of her coworkers had gone to the roof to see what
was going on.  She was terrified that she may have lost her girlfriend who
worked in Tower Two.  We did not know at the time that her girlfriend was
late to work that day and was rushing out of the subway when she saw the
first plane hit.  She quickly ran as fast and as far as she could and made
it past the South Street seaport when she finally had to catch her breath.
She was shaken, but otherwise fine.

About a week later I went back to NYC for the first time since 9/11 and was
stuck in traffic on the George Washington Bridge.  As the bridge swayed up
and down a couple of inches from the traffic rushing from the outbound lanes
a few feet away, you could sense everyone's nervousness and anxiety level
going through the roof.  People were looking around very nervously, and it
seemed like an hour went by before the traffic creped slowly across to the
New York side of the bridge and Washington Heights.  I don't think I've ever
felt that uneasy before, or since.

I think many of us who live in NYC and its immediate suburbs believe that
9/11 was only the dress rehearsal, and that the real terrorist hit will be
far, far worse.