[at-l] Hoplite's recovery time...

How'd I come to be sore?  Hmmm...  The last month or so of the hike was
when it went from being stiff in the first and last ten minutes of the
day to "ow! I need to really lean on my poles bigtime on these
downhills!"  I can't trace that to a specific stumble or fall or
anything.  If I had to speculate, I'd say it was because I'd been
pushing the whole time so that I could finish in 5 months.  The decision
to finish in 5 was a tough call to follow through on; I realized in the
first month that I'd have to haul a lot faster than I'd like to.  It
turned very many of my days from a nice amble to "let's go powerhiking
up and down these mountains!"

As I said a number of times in my journal, given the choice, I'd do the
trail in 7 months and traipse along quite slowly.  I had a sad moment
sitting on one of the peaks in Maine for the sheer joy in just sitting
on the peak of a mountain on a nice day and "wasting" the time.  The
sadness came when I realized it had been a long time (weeks) since I'd
done that.  That sucked awfully.  But I had made a decision to finish
the trail in one year before school started no matter what-- it was (and
still is) very important to me that I proved myself to me on that
trail.  I like the person I am now a whole lot better than the person I
used to be pre-trail.

To you thruhiker 2005 hopefuls, SLOW DOWN on your hike.  Take longer
than I did.  =)

So there's a long and unfocused answer to a good question, Sloe-to-the-Toe.

HopLite