[at-l] Normal Recovery Time, Generally Speaking

Adkhiker2003@wmconnect.com wrote:

>I have not hiked the entire AT,  But I am an avid section hiker and I fully
>agree with Grey Owl that planning, transportation, explaining why you are using
>up all your vacation to hike instead of spending with family, then coming
>back and starting it all over again is tough.    Section hiking is just as much a
>commitment as hiking the AT all in one season.

As a section hiker who has thru-hiked, I think I can say that I agree,
on many levels, with this. There is much more time spent planning, much
more energy spent on getting there, finding a place to park, getting
shuttles and then getting back home. I know that I spent far, far more
time planning 25 mile section hikes than I did planning my thru-hike. It
is so much easier to 'just wing it' on a thru-hike than a section hike.
If you have to drive 8 or more hours to get to the trail (like I do, at
a minimum), you don't want to have things go wrong. You want to get some
miles in. On a thru-hike, if you want to do a couple of 8 mile
days...you can. You just make up for it with a couple of 24 mile days if
you need to. There is as much, or more, of a commitment to section
hike...it's just different. (and, as always...everything is different
for everybody...)

--
Felix J.
ME-->GA '98