[at-l] Section Hikers Aren't Girly-Man Hikers

I am a sectional hiker who dreams of doing a thur-hike as opposed to a
series of sectional hikes over a period of time. When I was at Pine Grove
last July on a sectional hike eating ice cream with my son, we read a
newspaper article of the mailman who had hiked the entire AT in 49 days
averaging 43 miles per day. Every night he was met by one of six friends who
provided him an evening meal and a place to sleep returning him to the AT in
the morning. Did this person who passed every "white blaze" in record time
hike a pure AT hike? Just curious as to what is required to constitute
completion of an AT thur-hike?  If you follow the "requirements", how long
will it take you to complete your thur-hike?  How many nights must you sleep
on the AT? How many motels are you permitted to stay in during your
thur-hike?

Richard H. Anderson