[at-l] Section Hikers Aren't Girly-Man Hikers {WAS Normal Recovery Time, Generally Speaking}

Section hiking and thru hiking appear, at least to this sectioner, very
different. While we share the same trail and sport, it is much like
comparing cross country sking to downhill racing. Both take different sorts
of endurance. Both have the pleasures and pressures of planning. Both have
deadlines. Just yesterday, I barely made it to Sam's Gap before Miss Janet
went back to town.

A sectioner never knows when his "hike" is over, just this year's section.
A thru hiker has a definite beginning and end, with a heck of a lot
invested in each - and that ain't just money. Neither have any guarantees.

It is frustrating to hit the trail and discover that your legs have aged a
year or two or three. Section hikers wish we could dial up trail legs, just
as much as thru hikers would like to dial up a pizza.

Planning a section is difficult. Pulling out the maps. Calling the
shuttles. Cobbling gear again, after the family has watched to gear closet
grow. Interrupting work and family annually in order to go out to sweat,
ache, shiver and more.

Of course, section hikers are more "lucky" like the downhill racers. ;-)

OrangeBug