[at-l] Normal Recovery Time, Generally Speaking

I will bite on this huge trolling hook.

There is no way that section hiking is "tougher" then thru-hiking.

Section hiking you can quit when ever you want and thats just the end
of your trip not your hike.

The mental and physical endurance of section hiking vs. a 6 month
thru-hike is no comparison! I can't stress how this is the biggest
difference. Staying on the trail and hiking day after day for 6
months, leaving your life for 6 months is a big difference then taking
a week or maybe a month off here or there.

Thru-Hike has a time limit and there for a minimum daily mile average
where section hiking doesn't.

Your first point takes for granted that a person gets out of hiking
shape, and that they are doing big mile days. Anyone can pick a
section of the trail for a  week vacation and do some easy 8 mile days
to work on a section hike.

Your second hike  point is completely off. You have a life time to
plan vacations to complete a section hike. One of the main reasons
people can not or do not thru-hike is the great time commitment. Look
at the fact that most people thru-hiking are just beginning there life
or newly retired. Its just to difficult to do a thru-hike when in the
middle of family life with kids and a family.

Point Four Planning-
I do not see how section hiking requires requires much planning at
all. Heck I could throw my pack in my trunk this weekend and start
section hiking. Thru-hikes require greats amount of planning and
sacrifice to pull off.

Point 5 Costs-
Costs are subjective to a section hiker. A section hiker who lives in
Hawaii that can only get a away on weekends = TON of MONEY. Section
hiker that lives right near the trail that can get away a month at a
time = little money.
Thru-hiker who pays $2-3/mile + cost of maintaining your off trail
life for 6 months (car, place to live, pets, storage, insurance,
bills) = EXPENSIVE
The cost of a thru-hike must be paid in one year where you can span
the cost of a section hike over a lifetime.

This is not intended to put down any section hikers, section hiking is
still a very difficult and amazing feat. A 2000 miler is a 2000 miler.

JTW