[at-l] Alpine Rose again - a 'brilliant' idea

J. Bullard wrote:
>He has until Sept. 17th to submit his plans but they "expect to decide
>Sept. 15 whether to approve final plans" which they will not yet have seen?
>That sounds like they've already decided.

Coosa writes:
Remember, it's not what you know in politics, it's "who" you know.  Is there anywhere that "we" can write to protest?  Anyone have an email address (other than our own ATC, which may be the only choice?)  AH, I answer my own question, see below.  The NewsPaper Reporter!!

What about if WE ALL took it upon ourselves to email the ATC to add our individual voice and collective voices to the mix?  See http://www.appalachiantrail.org/protect/issues/index.html -- my questions have already been answered, in part!

SEE http://www.appalachiantrail.org/protect/issues/alpine.html !!  The ATC is on the ball!!  BUT BUT BUTT ButtShizzle: "ATC's attorney argues that the final plans are substantially different from the preliminary ones and the commission therefore should have rejected them, but the planners disagreed."

Okay, so here's the original idea that has finally jelled (hey, I just woke up).  I'm normally scattered, today is worse, in less than a month, I turn 60 years old and start drawing my Alabama State Employment Retirement Income.  It's WEIRD to get a letter talking about my 'retirement' when I know I have 6 more years to work before I draw SSA and my Georgia Retirement.

Back to the issue at hand:

The author of the article above can be reached at chris.parker@mcall.com and I suggest we ALL email the reporter and BE NICE about our objections to Alpine Rose.  (I know the protests to "be nice" -- we are "always" nice.  Right! and  especially when discussing politics.)  The reporter just may contact some of us to get first hand objections.  SO, when you email, include your phone number and definitely address, let the reporter know why you're interested in that part of the Appalachian Trail being impacted by Alpine Rose.  Grass-roots objections, you know?  Send a copy to ATC.  And if you are FROM New Jersey, all the better.  (JOHN-O????????)

Here's the ATC person to send cc to.  And saving a copy of your email might be good, too.  (OH, some of you, do NOT drink before writing your email.  You know who you are.  LOL!!)

Mid-Atlantic
Appalachian Trail Conference
4 East First Street
P.O. Box 625
Boiling Springs, PA 17007
Phone: (717) 258-5771
Fax: (717) 258-1442
atc-maro@appalachiantrail.org
Area covered: New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, and Virginia south through Shenandoah National Park (to Rockfish Gap/U.S. 250).

(for your remarks about off-road vehicles (9/13) and road-less areas (9/14), see the ATC site at http://www.appalachiantrail.org/protect/issues/fsrules.html )

I'm going to think long and hard and write a nice "non-Thru but potential-Thru" letter after I wake up.

Coosa
Vote Local, Vote Often.
Shop Local, Shop Often.
The AT is Local if you're a member of AT-L.
The AT is Often if you're a Thru-Hiker or 2000 Miler or working on it!

!