[at-l] Frances and Home Destruction

It was back in the Miocene, from McPhee's Annuals of a Former World:

"We know the approximate volume of sediment from the Powder River Basin, the
Bighorn River Basin, the Wind River Basin.... We can say it all went
downhill to Mississippi Delta." You can drill down 15000 feet many miles off
shore and still be in that sediment.

It was called the Laramide Orogeny and the Exumation of the Rockies. Since
the mountains were being eroded as they were pushed up they may never have
been 60,000 feet high but that was the total amount pushed up.

If you can find McPhee's book you probably would enjoy it, he wrote a series
of books looking at the Geology cross country by following I-80 from NJ to
CA. Rising From the Plains is the Wyoming volume, all bundled together
they're called Annuals of a Former World. In Suspect Terrain covers
NJ/NY/PA. Very readable. Wyoming has had a lot of violent geology happen
there, it's one of the oldest parts of North America.

Bryan