[at-l] Re Sly's Question on Wind

Well, among my many faults is a strage hurricane chasing desire that
often overcomes me when one of those awesome storms comes near . . . (my
Mom tells me that her mother used to love to watch storms at the beach,
so I come by it naturally!)  Anyhow, I have been in the middle of
several category 2 storms (Bertha in 1996 and Isabel just last year come
to mind).  While out on the exposed shoreline near the North River smack
dab in the middle of Isabel (the edge of her eye later passed over, and
then we got the winds from the opposite quadrant for good measure) . . .
anyhow, I have never heard wind make such sounds . . .  I am
guesstimating that those winds were a steady 80-90 mph . . . as long as
the winds stayed fairly steady, I could slowly lurch around on my feet
for a short distance, but it was no fun . . . I could not look into that
wind and driving rain . . . the rain felt like rock salt being fired
from a shotgun . . .

there used to be some of my video footage of those winds, with sound, on
one of the amateur hurricane websites, but I don't think it is around
any more . . .  I wonder if there is someplace I could upload a bit of
it to for the list's enjoyment! :)  any technical types who want to give
suggestions on that, feel free to e-mail me off-list! :)

IMHO, it is much harder to walk (or keep a tent/tarp up!) in very
variable, gusty winds - I remember crossing the hump mountains while
hiking on the AT in 2001 - it was a VERY gusty, windy day - probably no
more than about 45 mph, but since it was coming in unexpected gusts, it
nearly knocked me down several times, and I had to stow my trusty hat to
keep it from flying away.
I also recall a winter camping trip on top of Roan Mountain where our
older A-frame tent collapsed in the middle of the night when a cold
front came thru, the wind changed direction, and gusted up around 40 mph
. . .  another great wind memory is that of the summit winds on Mt.
Rainier - probably a gusty 40 mph or so - standing up for a summit pic
was no problem! :)

Thru-Thinker
[Clark]