[at-l] Hurricane Frances

I never understood the last minute rush to buy bottled water, or for that
matter the rush to the store, in general -- hurricane, winter snow, whatever.

Does every one who strip the shelves of bottle water in an emergency drink
bottled water all the time?  I have two six gallon blue jerry cans for water.
I drink tap water.  So I fill them with tap water.  Some folk filter tap water
and that would work for drinking water.  BTW -- I also fill a bathtub with
water to flush the indoor convenience.

As for candles, what happened to the one you bought last time?  My little
emergency/utility candles are always there.  Ditto batteries for the radio.
If I use some, I replace them after the power outage, not in a rush just
before the next one is predicted.

Now I do need to check my kerosene and gasoline supply, as I use them for
other than "emergencies."  I have a couple of  five gallon cans of kerosene
and four "oil" lamps, which are a tad safer than an open flame candle.  In the
winter the kerosene is also used for a space heater.  I also have a couple
hundred gallons of fuel oil for a fixed heater that is redundant for the heat
pump in an outage.  This fuel could also be taped for the lamps and portable
heater, if needed.  And I have a fireplace w/ a few cords of wood.

I also have four five gallon cans of gas for the generator.  During the summer
gas gets used in various power equipment and I seldom have all four full.  So,
I do need to top it off when an "emergency" is predicted/likely.  When winter
comes I keep them full and add fuel stabilizer, as the snow blower is not
likely to rotate gas fast enough.

As for food, we could live for weeks on my dehydrated trail food and what is
in the day-to-day pantry, freezer, etc.  BTW, camping stoves fill the need for
cooking.

In my neighborhood there are three of us, my next-door-neighbors and us that
are well set up for winter outages.  We have ended up with other neighbors
(generally older folk) as "house" guest.

Chainsaw

BTW -- Back when we lived in an apartment we weren't able to have quite the
preparation we can have in a single family home.  However, we had the water,
food, an oil lamp, utility candles, batteries, etc.  The major hole was loss
of heat in the winter.  Heavy clothing and sleeping bags covered that need --
adequately if not in the same way as an alternative heat source.