[at-l] Abol Bridge from Baxter Park Road

In a message dated 8/20/2004 11:44:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
papabear.nyc@verizon.net writes:
We plan to leave a car at the parking area by the store at Abol Bridge
(where the Golden Road crosses the Penobscot) while we do our 100 Mile
Wilderness hike in September. Keith Shaw suggested this spot. When we finish
summiting Katahdin, we are led to believe there will be a number of
potential rides south out of the park from Thru-hiker friends and family. We
will hit the big K at probably the peak of Thru-hiker season.

The question is: can we walk fairly easily from the Abol Beach Picnic area
on the pond, just off the road, down on the old road to Abol Bridge to get
our car?
Hi PapaBear,
 Just tell the people at the store you're leaving a vehicle, they don't
charge anything, but it's just being polite. You're dropping a car, and getting a
ride to Monson? Very cool, that ride across the Golden Road and down through
Greenville and aside Moosehead is a gem.
 The trail from the Abol Picnic area forks, one along highground to the Kiosk
junction, and one that can be a little wetter but shorter. If you still have
your trail legs, consider heading out of the Park via the Blueberry Ledges
trail that starts behind the Birches. It's only a few years old, goes through
some fine forest, past old burn, then at the old Park boundry follows an old jeep
road as it descends to the Kiosk. There's talk it might be the new route of
the AT someday.
 It's an easy hitch out of the Park and up to Abol Bridge if that what you
decide to do.
TJ