[at-l] Hiking Families---

Well, I didn't grow up in a hiking or camping family either, but when I was
small we often walked to a small fish pond on our property on Sat. afternoon
to fish awhile or on Sunday just to take a stroll.  We also went to the
beach about 1 day a summer, where we played in the waves and picnicked until
we were all salty, sandy, sunburned and exhausted. Near Christmas we'd all
go for a walk looking for the "just right" red cedar that would become our
Christmas tree.

When I was approx. 10 years old my family started taking longer vacations
with my working sister.  We always went somewhere up in the mountains, and
tho' we stayed in motels at night, we picnicked by mountain streams, and
sometimes took short walks to waterfalls.  When I was in college I walked a
lot-to class and out in the country again near a pond.

Then, I married into a camping family.  My hubby and I car camped a lot with
our boys, and then they became active in Scouts when they were old enough.
I actually started backpacking with my boys Scout troop.  My hubby wasn't
able at that point, and I wasn't physically fit, but willing to try.  The
Scoutmaster needed adult volunteers. So began my stint in Boys Scouts.  Once
I packed a half mile into a campsite, and we had a wonderful campfire, I was
hooked.  Later, I packed a couple of miles down into a valley, camped near a
beautiful stream, and felt like I could conquer the world when I made it out
on my own steam.  Been looking for more ways to get into the backcountry
ever since.  The more I go, the more I want to go.

So, I think my love of nature was nourished by a dad who planted a garden
every year, took us on those early walks in the woods, and then I fell in
love with the mountains when we started visiting them during those
vacations.  It was just a gradual process that led me to my love of
backpacking.  My sons aren't in the woods much right now, but I think they
will return later in life if they can just countrify those city girls
they've picked to marry.

Swallowtail