[at-l] Crampons

Tom Fort and Pete Fornof offer advice to carry crampons, especially in case
of blizzard conditions along exposed ridges in the Smokies.

If there is snow on the ground, crampons aren't as useful as snowshoes.
I've been there, and post holed to mid thigh 8 miles between Tricorner and
Carter's Knob Shelters in 2001. I never had an opportunity to use the
crampons.

If the conditions are dangerous, like minus 30 wind chills, ain't it time
to seek shelter and wait out the storm? Folks died doing this back in the
Blizzard of '93.

Are  crampons about to become Cell Phones - something that encourages
hikers to get into dangerous environments?

OrangeBug