[at-l] Crampons

Jim  warns a new Jack that there is at least one person monitoring those
voices and the people that hear them. I noticed the voices are especially
loud, hooting about fellow travelers and the like.

In step crampons aren't all that heavy and can help you navigate a sheet of
ice. However, waiting a few hours is usually all that is needed to navigate
the ice safely. I've never seen aluminum crampons, and wouldn't trust them.
I've had a set for years, but only wished for snowshoes while in March
sections in bad weather.

I'd suggest checking out the Yahoogroups BackpackingGearTest area for
reviews on a variety of crampons and other items to slip over boots to aid
traction. However, I'd do without them, realizing that a southern ice storm
usually means that tree limbs and other hazards await the hapless
aggressive hiker.

OrangeBug