[at-l] New york City

In a message dated 8/2/04 20:36:23 Eastern Daylight Time, rcli4@comcast.net
writes:

> .  I would like to know if someone could tell me how to get to the AT.  I
> mean real good instruction that a country boy can understand in the big city.

There are several ways to get to the AT from NYC.
1.  Take the Metro-North Train (Harlem Line) to the AT Station north of
Brewster.  This train leaves from Grand Central Terminal on 42nd Street between
Lexington and Vanderbilt Avenue on the East side.  This is the most expensive way
to go.  But, it does get you right on the trail.
2.  Take a Bus to Harriman Park/Bear Mountain.  Again, you will be right on
the trail.  This bus leaves from Port Authority Bus Terminal on 41st Street at
8th Avenue (West side) and takes about an hour in travel time.  This is the
least expensive way to travel to the AT.  When you get to Harriman Park you can
travel North (East) or South (West) after consulting your AT Guide.
3.  Take a Bus to the Delaware Water Gap on the NJ/PA border and hike in the
direction that makes sense to you after looking at guidebooks.  There are
options at each point.

Your Choice!  Another choice would be to hike other trails in the region.

Skylander