[at-l] Nobody said anything

--- Shelly Hale <shellydhale@earthlink.net> wrote:

> did not have a clue about roofing.  And, my husband
> and father-in-law said
> that tear-off was the easiest part, and that would
> be perfect for me to
> start out on.  Oh, really?!?  NOT!  LOL

Yep, that was by far the hardest part of the two days.
Yeeeech! The most rewarding part was the laying down
the shingles. Could see actual progress!

In a weird way, it was "fun". Some people stayed for
two hours, some (like myself..loyal friend or a
glutton for punishment? Not sure. :D), stayed for the
whole two days. Nice coming together to help a friend
out. Hard work, but rewarding. Call it the modern
version of an Amish barn raising. Instead of Amish, it
was late-twentysomethings to mid-thirtysomehings
professionals pretending they knew what they were
doing for a weekend. :-) Having said that:

> came to appreciate the
> life of a roofer.

Yes indeed. Very hard work. Thankful that I do not
have to that type of work for 30-40 years***. It is
fun, hard-work for a weekend with friends. For a
career? Can see how the body would be just be beat up!
The previous three generations of my family all did
(and Dad's case, still do)  some sort of contruction
work. Walking 4-5 mos at a time and doing the odd
distance run is easy. Doing that type of labor for
many years? That's hard!

> Pepsi and looked out over
> the countryside.  The lights of Cleveland
> (Tennessee..lol) lit up the night
> not too far off, and the temps had dropped to a very
> comfortable degree.

Well for me it was a Fat Tire and looking at the
foothills outside of Boulder with the setting sun
behinhd them. Same idea..and the same sense of peace
and satisfaction.

Well, looks like between Shelly and I, this list is
getting a roofing report afterall. :-) Well, it IS
outside and it is better than presidential election
talk..right? ;-)

MAgs

***though I did a semester's worth of log home
building in the past. Besides making me want a log
home someday, left me with a collection of good tools.
Everytime I turned around this past weekend, someone
was using one of my tools! :-) Taking a cue from Dad,
all my tools had MAGNANTI or MAGS on then, so they
were easy to  find at least.  ;-)

=====
--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com