[at-l] OT War & Hazardous Duty Pay - WAAY off topic

At 08:23 PM 8/2/2004 -0400, Coosa Donaldson wrote:
>This is off topic and I would not be sending it except I feel it IS
>important to ALL of us.  If you're not interested in reading what I have
>to say, just DE-lete.
>
>Who can I ask but my friends?  And you are my friends.
>
>Did you know that the Service men and women who are fighting in Iraq are
>not receiving any hazardous duty pay?  Since the 'action' is not a
>'declared war' they are not entitled to anything but their regular
>Military pay. ...clip...
>
>Coosa * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Please check <http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/recruiter5_4.htm>
for the distinction between "hazardous duty pay" (extra pay for hazardous
occupations) and "combat pay" (extra pay for being in a hazardous place).
If you click on the link in the entry about combat pay you will reach
<http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/pay/blcombatzone.htm> where
the allowances for pay in a war zone are enumerated. Iraq *is* on the list
of places it is authorized for. It is also part of the "tax exclusion" zone
meaning troops are not obliged to pay income tax during any month they are
in the zone for any part of the month. Judging by the copyright date the
information appears to be current.

FWIW I do not support the current administration's policy on Iraq. I
believe that they have unnecessarily over-extended our troops. I do believe
however that we should have the correct information when writing our
representatives to complain.

Contrary to Secretary Rumsfeld's contentions, our military is too small to
do what this administration expects of it, as evidenced by the extended
(and extended again) tours, recalling of retired soldiers and use of
National Guard to fight overseas war. IMHO, the National Guard should be in
the USA, guarding the USA, not guarding Iraq. Army Reserves are another
matter, hence the difference in the name.

Sorry for the rant. I got on a roll. I have no respect for the blundering
chickenhawks that are running this war.