[at-l] Gator Attack (OT)

>"...A mite colder in them parts, ey? ?But then, I do like Lobsters."

Maine's coldness is a fiction that we invented to keep the tourists away. When I arrived at Springer in '93, I assumed it would be like hiking in Miami in January. I discovered the climate on the high ridges of Georgia and North Carolina was almost identical to the climate on the coast of Maine at the same times.

I hadn't planned on being an ultra light hiker, but my gear was ultra light for the conditions I found.

The flowers bloomed at the same time I would expect to see them in my hometown woods. I saw my first May flower (trailing arbutus) on May 1, already slightly past its prime, just as they are on mid coast Maine almost every Mat 1.

Of course Maine is a big state. It gets colder way up north. But Katahdin is not north. It's more central Maine.

My home is about as close to Philadelphia as it is to the northern tip of Maine and Philly is easier to get to.

Weary