[at-l] AT Hiker Off-Trail Death

In a message dated 7/10/04 12:06:12 Eastern Daylight Time, crys717@yahoo.com
writes:

> That's about as much as I know... if I find out anything else, I will pass
> it on.
>
> --Peak-a-Boo

Thanks for the insight.  I read his journals in March as I anticipated my own
hike on the AT, and as it turned out, I suffered the same fate as I did in
the knee injury that is so common to hikers.  I remember his early comments
about how he wanted to do the trail before having to report to Medical School.  He
had a lot of potential and it is a sad note that indeed, we all come from
somewhere but one person's somewhere may be a whole lot more dangerous than
another's.  Of course, this shooting stuff can happen anywhere.  Just the other day
someone got shot on the subway in NYC (a model from Georgia who was working
in NYC) and she was just minding her own business.  It is a reminder to take
each day as a gift -- that is why we call it the present.  Now is when we live.
Our past informs us and prepares us for now.  Our future (dreams, hopes,
plans, etc.) may give us reason to do what we do but it is now that we do it.  To
be awake to the present moment may be a cliche but when we hear of shooting
deaths to those not yet in their middle age much less old age, it is sobering
and gives more reason, if we think about it, to live fully in the present moment.

Please keep us informed if you hear of any news.

Skylander