[at-l] AT Hiker Off-Trail Death

Skylander,

One of AirFerret's friends contacted me on Monday with this news.  I have been searching for any reports of his death (meaning details) to no avail.  All I have heard up to this point was multiple gunshot wounds to the chest.

He and I both attempted to thru hike this year, and both of us got derailed due to injuries/medical problems.  After getting off the trail, we spoke often about how bad it sucked to leave the trail.  So we decided to ignore our problems (his blown knee, my gimpy foot) and do a section hike through Virginia, hiking out of Trail Days and on to Partnership Shelter.  At that point, I pushed on a little farther, and Ferret joined up with the Konnorock group (my spelling may be off, sorry) to do a couple weeks of trail maintenence.  He felt the need to give back to the trail that he loved so much.  He broke his toe during our section hike, and still put in a week or two of trail maintenence, despite the pain it caused him.

>From there, Ferret went home to Detroit.  He was trying to relax this summer before he entered medical school in the fall.  He was planning to get both his MD and PhD.  He was such an intelligent guy and lived a very interesting life.  Oh the stories he could (and did) tell...

Unfortunately, he was from a rough area of Detroit.  One thing he and I talked about was how he wanted to avoid the 'old crowds'.  He had moved on from that way of life and didnt want to get tangled up in it again.  Of course, I dont know details about how everything happened, I just know he was mildly concerned about those issues.

Thats about as much as I know... if I find out anything else, I will pass it on.

--Peak-a-Boo

Bror8588@aol.com wrote:
Trail Journals reports (Walter) that AirFerret was shot in the chest and has
died as a result of his wounds. No other details at this time. Apparently he
had begun the AT this past March but had to get off the trail due to knee
problems. He went home to Michigan.

Does anyone else know of this?

Skylander