[at-l] Touching the Void

In a message dated 7/1/04 17:27:37 Eastern Daylight Time,
stephensadams@hotmail.com writes:

> A problem I have with ?Fahrenheit 9/11" is it is dishonest, in at least one

> spot, and Michael Moore knew this before he released the movie.

The problem with comparing Touching the Void with Fahrenheit 9/11 is that you
would be comparing Fact with Fiction.  Not only fiction but fiction with a
purpose: to promote a particular political point of view.  Not an honest
fiction, but a dishonest obscuring of truth and inferences, which lead people to
conclusions that are unsubstantiable (I made this word up but perhaps it is a word
that I do not know).  Michael Moore is a liar.  He asks questions, which make
implications when he knows that the true answers to his questions would
undercut his point.

One of the problems with political propaganda is that eventually truth will
be told.  As people see The F. 9/11 film and then hear the truth about some of
that which is proposed, hopefully their minds will click into gear.  Of
course, there will always be those who won't go beyond viewing the film as it might
be too taxing to think.

Touching the Void on the other hand is a film about a problematic aspect of
hiking (climbing).  In fact, it is a film about life.  When do we "cut" people
loose from us?  Do we really care about what happens to them?  Why not?  Are
they able to "survive" without us?  Do they sometimes come back to us even
though we have cut them loose?  Some we might welcome back after some time and
others will wreak havoc in our lives (if not just in our minds).

No wonder people run to the AT to get amongst the quiet of nature and the
beauty of this world.

Skylander