[at-l] Touching the Void

Kelly,

Reference your post, dated 7-1-04.

I recently watched the movie and it was much better than I anticipated.  I
had not read any previous posts under this topic since I had planned to see
it.  So my post may be redundant.  Delete here.

As to your nail biter, we knew going in that the author survived.  (How else
could he have written it?)  This, alone, saved my nails.

A problem I have commenting upon something like this is, I haven?t been in
that predicament.  No one else has.  Even if it happened to them again, the
day after they survived, it would still be different.

You also have to factor in hunger, thirst, fatigue, cold, the fright, etc.
These affect your capability for rational thought.

All this said, my $0.02 is, was there not a way for Simon to tie Joe?s line
off, below the belay - - say to a spare carabineer - - then un-knot the
line, pass the free ends below the belay, then re-secure the lines and lower
Joe the additional distance?

There are several more alternatives, much along the same line, but, then
again, maybe he was actively slipping and had run out of time.  But then,
why had he waited so long before taking such steps?

Ad infinitum, ad nauseam, touching the ridiculous.  Maybe the ?void? was his
inability to think clearly enough to consider any more alternatives.

Gosh, double think; triple think.  I suspect I my $0.02 may be inflated.

A problem I have with ?Fahrenheit 9/11" is it is dishonest, in at least one
spot, and Michael Moore knew this before he released the movie.

I will appreciate your review of ?Fahrenheit 9/11" although I?m sure we
should keep our personal politics out of our discussions.

Thanks,

Steve

Get tips for maintaining your PC, notebook accessories and reviews in
Technology 101. http://special.msn.com/tech/technology101.armx