[at-l] Cell Phones - Yawn

At 02:53 PM 6/28/2004 -0400, RoksnRoots@aol.com wrote:

...clip...
>Honest people would recognize that "purists" designed, built, and maintain
>the
>AT.

Balderdash! If they were both "purists" of one mind, why did MacKaye and
Avery have a falling out over the building of the trail? Haven't you read
the history of the AT's creation. It is rife with disagreement. Even
MacKay's concept changed somewhat over time. The largest debate was over
whether it was primarily a recreational trail or a preservation project.
There were many people involved in it's creation and they all had their own
agendas. I'd be willing to wager that even among today's maintainers there
are different reasons they do the volunteer work to keep it going.

Honest people recognize that it takes cooperation and tolerance to create a
project the size of the AT and that you can't get that by being an elitist,
suggesting that those with different motives/viewpoints are not worthy
because they don't see things exactly as you do.

>...clip...
>
>            I'd like for the respondents to articulate how cell-phone
>promotion on the AT serves ATC's "wildness" or "remote & detached" objective?

What ARE you reading? It can't be posts on AT-L. No one here has said that
cell phones should be promoted nor have they said cell phones serve
wildness. If that's what you read, you need new glasses. All I've said was
that they don't destroy wildness except in the minds of those who are
hypersensitive to the presence of them. I've also said we should be
focusing on keeping coverage from extending to wild areas (i.e. no cell
towers on mountain tops please). I *thought* I'd been pretty plain about that.

>Or how ridiculing, shunning, or calling "off-topic" those who point it out
>does? The
>real cost is at the mental level.

Now just who ridiculed cell phone users by saying that are too frightened
to go into the woods without their phones. All I said was that notion was
nonsense and if you can't see a cell phone without your hike being ruined
you need to look inside yourself to see why. Nobody *makes* you feel
anything. You choose your reactions to others. You are always going to
encounter people who see the world differently. If you expect to change
them, you are the one with a problem.