[at-l] Cell Phones - Yawn

In a message dated 6/28/04 9:32:59 AM, chaynes@gwi.net writes:

> I don't know about the rest of the AT, but cell phones, pagers, and 2 meter
> HT's work just fine on the AT in Maine, but it makes a difference what
> company you are with, the phone you have, and how you use it.

              ***     If only the Trail's purpose and founding philosophy
worked as well.

            If you look at this calm discussion you'll notice that not a one
mentions any ATC written guidance or current practices. It's all very simple.
Go to ATC's written code and see how they describe the AT. It is all there in
black & white that they seek to keep the Trail "remote & detached". Go back to
this thread and show me anyone who has even glanced this in their reasoning.
The problem with reducing this to anecdotes or an issue of manners or personal
impact is that it fails to adequately connect the issue to the Trail. If
looked at this way it is too easy to blow it off as the worries of "purists" etc.
Honest people would recognize that "purists" designed, built, and maintain the
AT.

          That's why I blame ATC for not making it more clear. They do it in
their actions, but they fail to draw a line in words. Perhaps the recent
reorganization was partial recognition of this, but the point still stands. Baxter
is a good example of standing up for wildness. Wilderness was their traceable
aim and wilderness is what they enforced. I'm sure Baxter was influenced by
MacKaye, took him to heart, and followed through. Too bad the rest of the AT
didn't. Honest people who look into the Trail seriously will find this to be
correct. That is why it is important to mention it this way specifically. I
continue to be shocked at the reaction towards this basic organized Trail principle
that comes from the AT public. It's a prime example of how difficult it is to
organize wilderness philosophy. A closer look will show that it is the basis
of the AT. Too bad people who stick up for it suffer so much from those who
populate its object.

           I'd like for the respondents to articulate how cell-phone
promotion on the AT serves ATC's "wildness" or "remote & detached" objective? Or how
ridiculing, shunning, or calling "off-topic" those who point it out does? The
real cost is at the mental level. A perspective yet to be directly acknowledged
by the AT public. More involved persons who believe this, yet avoid
mentioning it directly in order to get along better with the AT public, risk
compromising more clear and effective notice of what the Trail is about in the long
term. If for whatever reasons members really dislike organized wildness OK, that's
their prerogative, but don't try to act like it isn't a sound, defined and
recognized part of the AT - one that ATC is currently defending...