From: TrailR@aol.com
To: ellen@clinic.net, coyle306@localnet.com, at-l@backcountry.net
Date: Sun, Jun-27-2004 11:53 PM
Subject: Re: [at-l] Lebanon man falls off slope near trail
In a message dated 6/27/2004 3:50:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ellen@clinic.net writes:

But I was thinking in this particular thread about Baxter Park rules prohibiting the use of cell phones. In Baxter's case the rule is in line with Gov. Baxter's desire to create a place where the "trappings of civilization" are absent. Since he bought and paid for the 200,000 acre park and gave it to the public, along with enough money to operate the park indefinitely, I think his desires should be honored, don't you?

Once he "gave it to the public", it became their choice. Once you give something
away, anything can happen. In todays cell phone society, wanting to ban cell phones
in the woods is a low priority. The focus is more on banning them where they are
a danger to others (in cars?), or a niusance to a larger group (example:?
wilderness people don't have as big a voice as restaurant people). No one really
loses money if a few people who hate cell phones in the woods stop going, but if
restaurant goers stop eating out because cell phones bother them, then people start
losing money. For better or worse... money rules.
?
hotdog