[at-l] Lebanon man falls off slope near trail

TrailR@aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 6/25/2004 7:51:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>AThiker@smithville.net writes:
>

>I  don't think that the first question can, or should, be answered based
>on  this story. We do what we do, we go where we go...and, things happen
>and  we react to them. When we start feeling that we can't do those
>things, or  go those places without some form of technology, we are
>giving up another  freedom. As for natural selection, aren't all things
>some form of natural  selection?  And, for number 3...so you can be
>unnaturally  selected?
>

>**
>OK... I can see your point, but others might say that not being able to
>bring a
>piece of technology with them is like giving up a freedom... I don't always
>have
>to agree with someone to see their point.

I wasn't saying it's about rights to bring or not bring. It's about
feeling you CAN'T go because you don't bring. It's about feeling tied
down to sidewalks and street lights and cell phones.

>We have the freedom to choose what we carry with us. What weight we want
>to carry with us, in our packs, or mentally. I have no issues what-so-ever
>with
>bringing cell phones on the trail. I only have issues with their use
>there...

amen to all of this.  (By the way, I sometimes carry a cell fone. I'm
not against them at all. I'm against the feeling that someone can't go
way out there in the wild without one)

> Having
>a cell phone that saves a life is a worthwhile thing to me.

I don't think you can argue with that...I wasn't.

>But I don't see how anyone would relate natural selection to  an accident in
>the woods.
>The overwhelming reaction to someone being hurt is to help them... No  matter
>what.
>No matter if they are fools or not, smart, smelly,  carrying a  cell phone,
>or a GPS.
>It's human nature.. At least I hope it is.
>
>(This wasn't directed at anyone in particular)

I'm not sure if it is in response to what I said, or not. I hope not.
Cuz, I certainly didn't say anything to merit that as a response. And, I
agree, for the most part, that you always help someone who'd been in an
accident.

--
Felix J.
ME-->GA '98