[at-l] Into the Void

Actually, there were several books written about that fiasco.  I know that I've read at least three of them, Jon Krakau's Into Thin Air, one by a Russian team leader who died the next year or so, and one by a woman psychologist (I seem to remember her being), all of whom were in various groups up there.  There are more written that I haven't gotten to, or maybe I'd had enough by then.

We were living in Southern IN, and I was driving to the dry cleaners in the next town south of ours, when Jon came on "All Things Considered" on NPR telling about what had happened.  It had just happened a day or two before, and he'd gotten down to Katmandu and called in to report.  The segment lasted a long time, and I parked in front of the dry cleaners and listened to it all.  It was what NPR calls "a drive-way moment".

He also wrote a book called "Into the Wild", I think it was, about a young man who gave up all his belongings and went to Alaska to live off the land.  He was found dead several months later in an old bus that hunters used as a shelter.  I listened to that one on "The Radio Reader", though I never actually read it.

anklebear