[at-l] How about a 4000 mile Trail??

<<http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=11883327&BRD=2052&PAG=461&dept_id=388728&rfi=6>>

Some things I haven't figured out about the North Country Trail...

I did the Finger Lakes Trail last year. Parts of it are concurrent with
and/or have been "certified" as the North Country Trail. As far as I can
tell in order to be certified the trail must be running across either
public property or a permanent easement. Since much of the Finger Lakes
Trail runs across private property (many thanks to the landowners!!!) that
I do not foresee either being sold or "easemented" (a fair amount is
farmland, we're not talking wilderness, at least in the central NY area) I
can't see how there will ever be a "North County Trail" on the ground. Lots
of sections, some even linked, but intact under the "certified" terms?
That's not to mention that there was also a fair amount of road walking
involved.
The other thing I couldn't figure out is the eastern terminus is at Crown
Point NY.  60 miles by road would take you to Maine Junction, and a shorter
beeline due east would tie in farther north on the Long Trail. So why miss
the tie-in?

skeeter