[at-l] thru-hiker spotted

Sunday was the photography day for the ATC project, something like "A day
in the life of the AT" and I decided to try my legs on Moosilauke. It's a
good test because you have an ascent of 3400 feet when you start on the
Glencliff side, the parking lot near the nursing home. I didn't bring a
camera, and not enough hiker treats either, both a bit of a loss. On the
way up a young hiker passed me, not carrying too big a pack so maybe not
even out for the weekend, just a dayhiker maybe. We talked, he seemed in a
hurry but still friendly, he says he's been on the trail for 90 days! So
this was Boy Wonder, a nice kid from upstate NY. He must be averaging
20/day, his goal is to finish in about 3 weeks and then get to his summer
job on Cape Cod.

Later I got to the top after passing Boy Wonder on the way up. He was
talking to the photographer who got assigned this section of the AT for the
project. (sorry I forgot his name, he's working for the AMC these days, was
a thruhiker in 2002 ). Sheltered from the wind in the remnants of the old
foundation I had some snacks and Boy Wonder appeared. I handed him
everything I had in my pack - hard-boiled eggs, string cheese, some jerky
and a nice, big green pepper. He was very appreciative and said that being
so early on the AT he's had little trail magic along the way. I told him he
should come back and do the trail again and see what it can be like.

--rockdancer '97