[at-l] Re: Grand Canyon Rim-to-Rim

Joan,

I have done the GC rim-to-rim in both directions. To be exactly correct I
did a rim-to-rim-to-rim starting on the south and going north the first week
of October a few years ago. We were a group of 4 and being mostly interested
in enjoying ourselves we took 2 nights in both directions. Going north we
stayed at Bright Angel and Cottonwood campgrounds and going south we stayed
at Cottonwood and Indian Gardens. We used the South Kaibab Trail and the
North Kaibab going north and going south used a remote trail and then the
Bright Angel from the river.

Seems I remember the rim-to-rim being about 26 miles. From the south rim
there are 2 maintained trails to the river where the bridges are, the South
Kaibab and the Bright Angel. They basically arrive at the same place but the
Kaibab is 3 miles shorter and drops 500 more feet . It is fine to descend
but I prefer to ascend the Bright Angel as it has water available and offers
more shade than the S Kaibab. From the river going north the North Kaibab is
the only maintained trail.

I have seen people doing a rim to rim as a straight shot without staying
overnight but that simply isn't for me.

The difficulty in hiking the GC is directly related to the condition of the
hiker and the trail used. The Bright Angel and both the South and North
Kaibab are graded for pack animals but that shouldn't be taken to mean they
can't grind you down, especially in the summer months when inner canyon
temperatures exceed 100 degrees.

As a source of reference material I would contact the backcountry office on
the south rim. Colin Fletcher's,  The Man Who Walked Through Time recounts
his trip through the GC and is legendary.

South Walker southwalker@barefootfarm.com
ME-GA 1999
In hiking there is no special recognition given for speed, style,
or finesse. There are only those who do the hike and those who don't.