[at-l] GPS question

What a timely thread! About to instruct a "LandNav
101"
class at the start of June.

In this "class" we go over how to use the basics of
map and compass use; true vs. magnetic north, how to
read a topo, how to take a bearing, applying the
bearing to the field from a map and the reverse, and
how to use a GPS. The following Saturday, we go to a
local park in Boulder and do some field exercises.

On thing I stress is how a GPS is a good SUPPLEMENT,
not a replacement, for a map and compass.

The biggest advantage of a GPS by far is the "WHERE
THE HECK AM I FACTOR??!??!?!". Triangulation with a
map and compass is doable, but it is far easier with a
GPS.

Having said that, the limitations of a GPS (besides
batteries, possible spotty satellite coverage in some
areas, electronics can break down) are that a GPS will
not tell you about the ravine between you and your
campsite.

Also, while a GPS can give you a bearing, I find it is
far easier to take a quick bearing with a compass.
With most GPS units you have to be on the move to get
a bearing, too.

So a GPS is an extremely useful tool, but it does have
limitations.

One disturbing trend I've noticed though is that some
people (no one on this thread) are using a GPS as a
magic bullet. "I have a GPS....I can't get lost!"
Many thru-hikers do not have basic knowledge of map
and compass skills.  When they set out to do the CDT
they somehow think a GPS will make their trek easier.
Kinda scary....

=====
--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com