[at-l] another question about breakfast

 >protein

Nicole,

One hiking idea for added protein, which I also seemed to need:
I ate a fair number of hard-boiled eggs on my thruhike last year. It's
easy to do. Many hostels will let you boil some water. I'd split a
dozen with friend, eat two a day for three days. I made sure to eat
any cracked ones first. On really hot days, I would only carry two
days worth.

I also added Soya soy granules or TVP to many dishes - tasteless, and
lightweight. But an attendant methane problem.

I'd also carry cheese in cooler weather. In warmer weather, most
cheeses exude oil and get gummy, but they still taste good added to a
hot dinner (or, grits!). ;-) Harder cheeses such as parmesan carry well.

If you consider sausage protein (there's sure enough needed fat in
there), pepperoni did well for a couple of days, same exuding process.

  Remember, you're generally doing a series of three to five day hikes
on the AT, although perhaps you are hiking somewhere else?

One thing I did notice though, was that my tolerance and appetite for
carbohydrates soared on the AT. Of course, it would, with my appetite,
but there was another unusual aspect:
I'm not diabetic, but I am somewhat hypoglycemic, and have to watch my
sugars. I'll never eat candy alone, must first eat some protein first
or I feel shaky later from the hormonal sugar "crash."

Yet, on the AT, I could eat Snicker, breads, pastries with impunity.
Somehow, I think the extremes of the hike changed my metabolism, so
the sugars went right to my muscles and didn't crash me as they
normally would.

I also fell in love with Skittles, the sweet, chewy candy; Skittles
brightened many hiking day. Yet, only two weeks after my hike, I could
hardly eat the things - too sweet, and I felt yucky after. I also
almost never eat a Snickers, yet it, a few crackers and a pouch of
3-oz tuna became one of my power meals; man, I could HIKE after one of
those. My favorite lunch.

Good luck,
NutriShoe

--