[at-l] Thru Hiker inviting a relative to join them

A fit 15 year old flatlander in my Scout Troop has been invited to join his
college-age cousin on the AT for a week this summer.  The cousin is planning
to thru-hike the Trail, they would meet somewhere in Virginia.

The Scout's mom told me about this past week, as it would mean he could not
join our modest Scout High Adventure trip.  I recognize that the thru-hiker
would love the company, for about 5 minutes.  I've heard that inviting a
friend along, mid-way is a bad idea for thru-hikers, because it messes up
their routine and adds to their homesickness once the other person leaves.

As I recall, over the past four years, this 15 year old has only backpacked
12 miles with our Troop in the Ocala...and that was a two-day trip!  What do
the list readers suggest?  Should I discourage it?

Mark