[at-l] Baxter State Park History Question

In a message dated 4/17/04 11:07:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rickboudrie@hotmail.com writes:

> Didn't Baxter intend this place to
> be a park?

Sure did, a Park that protected Katahdin, and for people to visit, enjoy, and
treasure. What few understand is that words (and the emotions connected to
them) change drastically over decades, and seldom have they ever held but one
universally agreed upon definition. We can all be certain that Boone, Muir,
MacKaye, and Baxter all knew exactly what "Wilderness" meant to them. I think we
can also be certain that it meant different things to each individual. Today, I
think we can all agree that "Wilderness" means different things to Gov.
Baldacci, Roxanne Quimbly, Buzz Caverly, and the AMC.
TJ