[at-l] Buffer around Baxter?

>"...By all means we should preserve natural areas for posterity (and for our
>own well being) but it needs to be done with balance for the needs of people. I
>see little difference between the city dweller who turns and walks away from a
>mugging (or worse) without calling the police and one who opposes those things
>that contribute to the safety of hikers in wilderness areas. Even MacKaye
>intended the AT to be a benefit to his fellow humans. I  strongly doubt he
>would advocate a callous indifference toward those who get in trouble while
>enjoying the trail he initiated. If he did hold such  an attitude then my
>respect for him would be greatly diminished."  argues the Sauntering one.

Wilderness is such a remote thing to most modern humans that it seems only a few
have even the ability to understand the concept. But the basics are pretty
obvious. Wilderness by definition is the absence of civilization. Civilization
was invented as a way to escape wilderness.

But strangely despite centuries of attempts at civilization, their remains in a
few of us that desire for a few wild places to persist, as sort of museum pieces
of a past world, perhaps.

We have museums dedicated to the artifacts of the past. Some of us think there
should also be museums of wildness.

The AT is not wilderness. But wise people will fight to keep it as wild as
possible. Baxter Park is a special place. It was purchased by a private person
and given to the public on condition that it remain "forever wild." We should
honor that pledge.

Weary