[at-l] Gear Questions - Goretex

At 10:36 AM 4/2/2004 -0800, Sloetoe wrote:
>From: Mark Hudson <hudsom@us.ibm.com>
>Subject: [at-l] Gear Question - Goretex
>
>Given the vast amount of experience on this list I thought I'd
>bring this question up...
>
>I have a goretex jacket, too heavy for hiking but just fine for
>skiing. The problem is that the surface (DNR?) is no longer
>water repellent. I've tried both Revive-X an Nik-wax with no or
>little apparent difference (of course I followed the
>directions). I'm hoping someone out there has a suggestion...
>
>### My suggestion? Give up.
>Sorry Skeets. I will certainly read with interest *and*
>excitment if someone reports success with one of these spray-on
>DWR thingies, but I've tried a variety (3-4 different types, 6-8
>cans' worth?) of them since '98, on two ply Goretex, 60/40
>cloth, nylon taffeta/urethane (other side, yes), nylon duck,
>etc.
>
>I have *never* seen a difference.
>
>Phooey.
>Phooetoe

I have an anorak (non-Goretex) that had a DWR finish when new and it worked
pretty good. I never used liquid detergent or fabric softener but after a
few washings it acquired more of a WAF (water absorption finish) and I've
tried several spray on finishes. They sort of help, a little. Very little.
I've been searching for a 'wash-in' product but the only products I found
were NikWax and even the guy in the outfitter's said it wouldn't do what I
wanted it for (making uncoated 60/40 cloth highly water resistant). I was
surprised because when the stuff came out there were ads showing photos of
a guy in his sleeping bag that he had treated with NikWax floating like a
cork in a pond. Has anyone tried dry cleaning their DWR outerwear? If so
does the finish hold up any better?