[at-l] Enhancing the AT Blaze

> The other question regarding the offset blazes.  Are they useful in
> determining the direction of the trail?

Yes, even essential in my opinion. I am not completely sure of the history
but I believe they started in NY/NJ.

One of my pet peeves is trail intersections where a trail comes to a trail
that crosses then jogs either left or right for 20-100 feet before
continuing. The offset blaze makes it easy to do the right thing. Otherwise
you have to explore to find the answer and risk losing some percentage of
those not paying careful attention. However the really correct thing to do
is ELIMINATE THE JOG and the need for a turn blaze at all.

Most trails way over use turn blazes. Any turn less than close to 90 degrees
does  not need to be marked unless there is a junction  (even a fairly
obscure one). Even many switchbacks where you have an almost 180 degree turn
frequently do not need blazes because the path is cut deeply into the hill.
The switchback is a good place to conserve paint if there is a tree straight
ahead from both directions where even in offset blaze areas, you should
paint only one turn with a non-offset blaze instead of two offset turn
blazes.

---